I have an enigmatic past rooted in an underground punk world that is still subliminally connected to my creative work & life today. In my “real life” now I am a full time fine artist, mother, and partner. I am an ex-city dweller gone feral and live quite reclusively in rural upstate New York.
My work as an orthotist in Philadelphia, where I specialized in the custom fabrication of corrective bracing for children and adults with scoliosis and other congenital issues still influences my outlook on life today. The personal relationships developed years ago during that experience; working with individuals often facing debilitating circumstances who were so full of gratitude and hope continually inspires me today. In more recent years I was one of the founding members of The Redhouse Arts Center in Syracuse, New York. Redhouse There, I served as both gallery director and curator for the first several years of its inception. I was responsible for the overall artistic vision and leadership of visual fine art culminating in dozens of exhibitions including installation, painting, photography, sculpture, and mixed media from local and nationally recognized artists. It was a fantastic experience and it also reaffirmed my desire to ultimately focus on my own creative work. Although I have worked as a multi-disciplinary fine artist in painting and installation for many years, I currently focus almost exclusively on my photo work today.
- Juried Group Exhibition/Photography: Camera USA® 2018, The Naples Art Association, Naples FL (Upcoming: June 4 – Aug. 3, 2018) Jurors: Christopher Jones, Associate Curator of Photography at The Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota, FL; Mark Sloan, Director and Chief Curator of the Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art at the College of Charleston in SC; and Paula Tognarelli, Executive Director and Curator of the Griffin Museum of Photography in Winchester, MA.
- Juried Group Exhibition/Photography: Healing Nature: Human Vision, Art & the Environment, Cape Cod Museum of Art, Dennis, MA (March – May 2018) Juror: Mark Adams, cartographer/geologist.
- Juried Group Exhibition/Photography: Water – The Center For Fine Art Photography, Fort Collins, CO, “Juror’s Honorable Mention Award” (Dec. 2017- Jan. 2018) Juror/Curator: Jennifer Murray, Executive Director, Filter Photo.
- Juried Portrait Exhibition/Photography: The Portrait, SXSE Gallery, Molena, GA (2017) Juror: Elizabeth Avedon, writer, photographer & faculty School of Visual Arts, NYC.
- Juried Group Exhibition/Photography: Contemplation of a Dystopian Future– Moore College of Art Gallery, Phila. (2017) Jurors/Curators: Robert Chaney, Director of Curatorial Affairs, Institute of Contemporary Art, Phila. and Tory Savery, Director, Savery Gallery, Phila. “Best in Show Award”
- Invitational Exhibition Assembling Wonder: Curiosity Box – Cazenovia Museum, Cazenovia, NY (2016)
- Permanent Public Art Installation: Cloud Cover, Redhouse Arts Center Rooftop, Syracuse, NY (On-going)
- Juried Group Exhibition/Photography: Made in NY, Schweinfurth Art Center, Auburn, NY (2016) Jurors: Ann Clarke, Dean School of Visual & Performing Arts, Syr. University & John Von Bergen, Sculptor
- The Photo Review/Competition: The Body Issue/(2015) Inclusion in the Online Web Gallery, Editor Stephen Perloff
- International Photography Awards (2015) “Honorable Mention/Fine Art Photography” Series: Color-Blind
- International Photography Awards (2015) “Honorable Mention/Fine Art Photography” Portrait: George
- Public Art Performance: Cloud Cover, Redhouse Arts Center Rooftop, Syracuse, NY (2014)
- Juried Group Exhibition/Photography: Mirror, Mirror, Darkroom Gallery, Essex, VT (2014) Juror: Amy Arbus, photographer, editor.
- Finalist, Photographer’s Forum Magazine, Inclusion in Book: Best of Photography 2014.
- Juried Group Exhibition/Photography: Juxtapose, Darkroom Gallery, Essex, VT (2014) Juror: Kyohei Abe, Detroit Center for Contemporary Photography.
- International Photography Awards (2013) “Honorable Mention/Fine Art Photography” Series: Melancholy and Perfection.
- Group Show/Painting: The Language of Trees, Redhouse Arts Center, Syracuse, NY (2013)
- Group Show/Painting: Mentors: 4 Influential Women Artists, Tech Garden, Syracuse, NY (2013)
- Juried Group Exhibition/Photography: Fertile Imagination, Schweinfurth Art Center, Auburn, NY (2013) Juror: Jerome Witkin, American Figurative Painter.
- Juried Group Exhibition/Painting: Artists of Madison County, Stone Quarry Art Park, Cazenovia, NY (2011)
- Solo Exhibition/Painting: How Does Your Garden Grow? Redhouse Arts Center, Syracuse, NY (2010)
- Master of Fine Art, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois
- Bachelor of Fine Art & Bachelor of Science, Moore College of Art & Design, Philadelphia, Pa.
Art Related Experiences
- Founding Member, Gallery Director & Curator, Redhouse Arts Center, Syracuse, NY. (2001-2009 & Guest Curator 2010) Responsible for the overall artistic vision and leadership of visual fine art culminating in dozens of exhibitions including installation, painting, photography, sculpture, and mixed media from local, and nationally recognized artists. (Emerging, mid-career and professional).
World Wide Copyright Agreement
You agree to the following copyright agreement by viewing this site. No Images on this site are within the public domain. The use of any image or text as the basis for another photographic concept, illustration, or other visual work is a violation of copyright. All content on this site is the intellectual property of Marianne Smith Dalton (mdaltonart.com) and is protected under the United States and International copyright laws. Written permission is required for the use of any image, or text, please feel free to inquire. Thank you for visiting!